Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

John Duncan McCallum wrote:

> Actually, Subiaco is of Italian origin. Subiaco (in Perth) was first
> settled
> by Benedictine monks, who later moved on to settle in the area now known
> New Norcia, where they still are. Subiaco was the name of the monastery
> they came from. Somewhere in the hills behind Rome (if I remember
> correctly).
> I cannot vouch for the definition given in another posting.

Ah. Thank you.

A quick search of the net reveals that the Benedictine monks seem to
have put "Subiaco" on the map fairly widely around the world.

See

http://www.knight.org/advent/cathen/14321a.htm

if you really want to go back in history. It says that the original
Subiaco was a "city in the province of Rome" but it had received its
name from the artificial lakes of the villa of Nero. Presumably it was
perfectly logical for Nero to think of "lying down" around his
artificial lakes.

What a wonderful service the Web is - for instance this is the first
time I have ever consulted the "Catholic Encyclopedia 1913", which is
what the above is apparently an extract from!  Are we on the path to
establishing aus.rail.connections_to_ancient_history?

Eddie