Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> "Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)" wrote:
>
> > > I always found Subiaco odd as it is Latin for "I lie down". But I don't
> > > know if that's what the original poster meant but Tonsley has me
> > > puzzled.
> > >
> > Why would you call a place "I lie down"??? (in Latin - if it was an
> > Aboriginal name, I could understand it.)
>
> I believe Subiaco is a British place name, imported (presumably) direct
> from London.

Actually, Subiaco is of Italian origin. Subiaco (in Perth) was first
settled
by Benedictine monks, who later moved on to settle in the area now known
New Norcia, where they still are. Subiaco was the name of the monastery
they came from. Somewhere in the hills behind Rome (if I remember
correctly).
I cannot vouch for the definition given in another posting.

John McCallum