Re: Scanning Photos

<<<<This is all irrelevant.  Scan the pictures at whatever resolution you like,
because, the display will always show as the monitor's PPI.  What people really
need to know, is how many pixels wide the pictures should be, as a 600 pixel
wide
image will display the same at 72 DPI as it will at 300DPI.>>>>>

Yes it probably is irrelevant is you are just scanning to throw a few pics up
on a webpage, (why bother yourself with details?) But I was asked to define the
difference between ppi and dpi and that is precisely what I did.

Image dimensions are a related but different subject. The important point is
that there is nothing to be acheived, and a heavy penalty to pay, if you put
pics up on the web at higher ppi's than the medium can use.

Your statement "Scan the pictures at whatever resolution you like because, the
display will always show as the monitors PPI" shows you need to learn about
this subject a bit. A monitor will only display a maximum of 96 ppi, (most
monitors 72) so you tell me what is acheived by putting a 150 ppi pic on the
web, except that it takes more space to store on the server (which for most
people means more $$$ or less pics) and more time to download.

I'm sick to death of waiting for 500K jpegs to download on people's webpages
that don't know what they are doing when the same quality could be acheived in
say a 100K jpeg if the person knew a bit about this subject.

To repeat, there is no need to post a pic with a higher ppi than 96 (actually
72 is the web standard) and anyone who knows what they are doing shouldn't have
a file size much bigger than 100K unless they want their pic to be many times
the size of most peoples monitors.

Hope this helps

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at: