Re: Latest from the NSW rumour mill

In article <7klher$8b0$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "Jack" <bd107@tsn.cc> writes:
>From: "Jack" <bd107@tsn.cc>
>Subject: Re: Latest from the NSW rumour mill
>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:16:22 +1000

>MarkBau1 wrote in message <19990618031357.10721.00000356@ng-fy1.aol.com>...
>>Selling 49% of a government entity is a quaint idea but one which will find
>no
>>supporters in the private sector.
>>
>>Why doesn't NSW bite the bullet and sell it 100% or not at all.
>>
>>49% LOL!!!!

>Because a Labor Government will find it very difficult to get any further
>privatisation deals past the Labor Caucus.. pretty simple really. Remember
>the Libs big policy was the Power sell off, and they were flogged in the
>last state election.

>Cheers
>Jack
>Queensland: Perfect One day
>Beautiful the next
>And wet for the other 363 days of the year

Jacks probably right about Freightcorp privatization, although its a totally
differant deal to compare flogging off the power industry and flogging off a
Railway freight company.
Joe public simply doesnt beleive that privatization of power will do anything
but push up electricity prices , and with good reason .
The Victorian experiance of power privatization did exactly this , and
provided reduced service as well.
Joe public  wouldnt care one iota whether freightcorp was privatised or not as
they dont know in the main what it is , but Im sure the Labor party will be
nervous.
One option which they would get possibly get away with would be to do what the
SA state Govt are doing with their power industry, leasing the whole lot for
50 years.
I suspect that leasing Freightcorp would still bring a good price and the Govt
could argue they wernt selling it .
The impetus will come after the sale price for Westrail is known , as if a
good price is reached,then theres more incentive for the NSW Govt to do the
same.
Govts love money , no matter how they get it.

MD