Re: ODD DESTINATIONS

Barry Campbell <barryC@qimr.edu.au> wrote in message
376F1824.9F919AFD@qimr.edu.au">news:376F1824.9F919AFD@qimr.edu.au...
> Eddie Oliver wrote:

> > > Tonlsey (Adelaide-Train)
> >
> > Will someone please explain what is even vaguely odd about either
> > Subiaco [mentioned in the original posting] or Tonsley (note it is
> > Tonsley, not Tonlsey)? As place names go, they seem totally lacking in
> > anything "odd".
> >
> I always found Subiaco odd as it is Latin for "I lie down". But I don't
> know if that's what the original poster meant but Tonsley has me
> puzzled.

Why would you call a place "I lie down"??? (in Latin - if it was an
Aboriginal name, I could understand it.) For that matter, why would you call
a place "Last month"?? (Ultimo, Sydney - could be added to the original list
as there was an Ultimo tram depot, and, of course, Ultimo Street Signal
Box.) (If anyone doesn't know the origin of "Ultimo" as a place name, and
wants to, pls tell me.)

Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)