Re: Scanning Photos

<<<<<You obviously use a Mac, Mark, because every Mac user seems mired in
or fixated with 72 dpi/spi. >>>>

Of course I use Macs, are there any other computers? :-)
I disagree that I am fixated on 72. In my posts I kept refering to 72 AND 96.
However, 72 is by far the web standard, download 20 pics from 20 different
sites and chances are 19 will be @ 72ppi.

<< One scans at whatever resolution one needs to end up with say an 640 x
480 pixel image:  the original's size will determine the scanning
resolution. >>

I don't know what software your'e using but on my software I nominate a % (for
web stuff I usually go for 800%) I set ppi to 500ppi. Once the pic is in
photoshop I resample to 72 and end up with a pic that nearly fills the screen
of a 15" monitor set at 800 x 600 pixels which a yank trade mags say is
"statistically" the most common monitor/screen res. people use.

<< Depending on
the video card and software driver *any* of these monitors are capable
of displaying 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x756 pixels. >>

True, but no monitors except pre press (read $$$$$) monitors show higher than
96 ppi.

As a lot of railfans are getting into scanning and making their own webpages I
think its quite ok to discuss this stuff in here. Its been a slow month on this
ng anyway!

Mark.
Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/