Re: LA Rail Revival

In article <Pine.PMDF.3.95.990614222712.541871371F-
100000@clstac.is.csupomona.edu>,
  Henry Fung <hfung@csupomona.edu> wrote:

> Nope. While your reasons may have played a part in it, they are not the
> "official" reasons. Here are the "official" reasons from a 1993 MTA rail
> brochure that showed rail lines everywhere:

I've never seen that brochure. And I collect everything Metro Rail-
related.

> Metro Red Line: "The color red traditionally signifies power and
> excitement.

Sounds like a Pontiac commercial.

> Metro Blue Line: "Blue is a primary color and was selected as the color
> for our first rail system...."

Pttth. So is Red. Or Yellow for that matter. I don't see a Metro Yellow
Line.

> Whose reasons are right? Only the namers know.

Thanks for the info. I don't buy their P.R. at all. But, I don't blame
them since the average Joe doesn't even know what the Los Angeles County
Transportation Commision was (nor did most Angelenos when it was actually
around), much less what their logo color was, and so they have to drum
this up. Considering it was made in 1993, they've had some time to
fabricate this explanation.

Trust me, it had to do with the logo colors. A newspaper article back in
the summer of 1989 (it was either the L.A. Times or the L.A. Independent)
mentioned it so.

The RTD's colors were Red, Orange and Yellow, remember?
What we know now as the "Red Line" was originally going to be the "Red
Line" (Union Station to N Hollywood); the "Orange Line" (Union Station to
West L.A. (Wilshire corridor) and the "Yellow Line" (Eastside line).

I also have the original Blue Line informational brochure (circa 1988),
produced by the LACTC. It was simply referred to as "The Long Beach-Los
Angeles Light Rail Project" and the dominant color in the brochure was -
guess! Blue.

Elson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/