Re: Long Island Scrap steel question

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:17:13 +1000, "Chris Stratton"
<stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au> wrote:

>Jennifer Richmond <richmond@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
>37622503.E9880AFA@melbpc.org.au">news:37622503.E9880AFA@melbpc.org.au...

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > You're telling me! On a recent weekend I went gunzelling, and somehow
>ended
>> > up down that way (Westernport), so we thought we would go to see if any
>> > BL's were in. There was a BHP Y class just past the security gate,
>within
>> > photographable range - We asked the security guard if we could
>photograph
>> > it from the gate, and he said no and told us to leave (upon further
>> > inspection there was a 'no cameras' sign up on the wall of the hut).
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Michael.
>>
>> Why are BHP so strict at the long island site? Is this the same
>everywhere?
>>
>Yes.

And have been for some time.  I can remember spending a few days
photographing the South Maitland Railway and the J&A Brown
Hexham-Stockrington trains in the 70s, and filling in time hunting out
the old double decker buses.  We were standing in the car park
(outside any fence line) at BHP photographing a bus when a security
guard told us to stop.  We didn't even think we were on BHP property,
but apparently the cameras might have picked up a solid brown wall in
the background :-)

JD

John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html