Re: Violence on Sydney trains

glillic@msn.com.au wrote in message ...

>Why do we need Chub personnel at all. There is a perfectly healthy person
>paid by CityRail to sit on his/her bum for nine tenths of their shift in a
>locked compartment on our trains. In most other countries their
counterparts
>walk the lenth of the train at regular intervals ensuring that no mischief
>is occurring.

Tangaras are actually fitted with a full set of guards controls next to each
doorway (apart from PA for a "Stand Clear - Doors Closing") - there is
nothing to stop a guard from patrolling a train and perfroming his duties
from anywhere in the train.

>Tangara and most other trains are fitted with two-way speakers
>to communicate with these seldom seen personnel if they must insist of
>remaining out of public view.

Actually, they started fitting passenger to crew communication when they
started the CityDecker project - it was widely trumpetted by the
government - but only a few cars were done, and the sets have now been
broken up. Only the Tangara's have them now.

>They can communicate with police just as
>easily as Chub can. It seems to me that CityRail guards are no more anxious
>to intervene than the private security guards they are so anxious to
>criticise.

The job of the guard is to guard the train, not to perform security
functions. When you have a look at some guards, you can see why. They would
be unable to fight their way out of a paper bag.

DaveP