Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.

Ron BEST wrote:
 I don't know why Melbourne's  "H" crossings are so
> noisy when a W crosses - maybe as the bottom of the groove wears away, the
> wheels run on their treads instead of on their flanges.

> Rgds

> Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)

You got it in 1. It is the wearing away of the flangeway that causes the
crossings to become noisy.
But they then become more noisy as soon as they build up the flangeway
with
weld.
It becomes quiet again after the wheels remove the rough spots.

John McCallum