History of the building of the NE SG line.

Whilst researching some rail construction history the other day I came across
schedule3 of the Act of Parliament responsible for the building of the NE SG
line. (ie Melb to Albury)
Dated 1958 , it sets out in some detail the construction details and the
approx costs.
A couple of the construction requirements were a bit odd and I wonder if
anyone knows the full story.
The initial idea had Sth Dynon to West Footscray Jnct as being two separate
tracks , ie 1 BG and 1 SG , not what we have today.
Was the dual guage implemented at a later date or from day 1.
The other odd requirement was that the new SG line was not to be separated any
more than 5 chains from the existing BG line.
I suspect that this requirement has been met,but cant think of any logical
reason for such a requirement in the first place.

MD