Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.

"SNIP"
the dual guage implemented at a later date or from day 1.
>The other odd requirement was that the new SG line was not to be separated
any
>more than 5 chains from the existing BG line.
>I suspect that this requirement has been met,but cant think of any logical
>reason for such a requirement in the first place.

Maurie I seem to remember reading that it was proposed to shorten the line
by a significant amount,and that state Parliament was in uproar as the local
members scrambled to ensure it did not bypass 'their' towns. It was a simple
means of guaranteeing the status quo.
I'm pretty sure that it was in a book, maybe 61/2" to destiny??
Anyway someone older than I will remember
Rod ;o)