Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.

Maurie Daly wrote:

> The initial idea had Sth Dynon to West Footscray Jnct as being two separate
> tracks , ie 1 BG and 1 SG , not what we have today.
> Was the dual guage implemented at a later date or from day 1.

>From day 1. I have not heard about the original thoughts but I would guess that
someone in traffic would have said that a single bg line between South Dynon and
West Footscray would have been unworkable in those days.

> The other odd requirement was that the new SG line was not to be separated any
> more than 5 chains from the existing BG line.
> I suspect that this requirement has been met,but cant think of any logical
> reason for such a requirement in the first place.

Maybe this was just merely stating the alignment of the new line for the act and
it might save having to describe the route in detail. But then I'm only guessing.

David Langley.