Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.

In article <3755217E.5FD080FD@ancc.com.au> David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> writes:
>From: David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
>Subject: Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.
>Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:20:14 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> The initial idea had Sth Dynon to West Footscray Jnct as being two separate
>> tracks , ie 1 BG and 1 SG , not what we have today.
>> Was the dual guage implemented at a later date or from day 1.

>From day 1. I have not heard about the original thoughts but I would guess that
>someone in traffic would have said that a single bg line between South Dynon and
>West Footscray would have been unworkable in those days.

Yes , I can understand the logic of the above from a traffic operations
perspective in that a double track line is a hell of a lot easier to operate
than 2 X single track lines.
What doesnt make sense though is why wasnt Albion to Jacana simply
dual guaged, ie the same as Sth Dynon to West Foostcray Jnctn.
>From a cost perspective it would have cost roughly the same price , given that
the dual line double guage option would have not required either Macintye or
Tulla loop to have been built.
I guess such decisions are lost in history.

MD