Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.

Maurie Daly wrote:

> What doesnt make sense though is why wasnt Albion to Jacana simply
> dual guaged, ie the same as Sth Dynon to West Foostcray Jnctn.
> From a cost perspective it would have cost roughly the same price , given that
> the dual line double guage option would have not required either Macintye or
> Tulla loop to have been built.
> I guess such decisions are lost in history.

I suppose someone had a reason for it but then a lot of things are done (or have been
done) for no other reason than that is seemed right at the time. I would like to know
why it was done the way it is now.

One possible thought might have been speed limits. Once trains are clear of West
Footscray Junction speeds rise quite a bit and it might have been though unacceptable
for the Southern Aurora and the Spirit of Progress to slow - twice - for the dual
gauge junctions. At Jacana on the down the dual gauge junction would have been just at
the south end of the steepest grade on the line - the bit between the Pascoe Vale Rd
underpass and the suburban lines overpass. This is the ruling grade between Melbourne
and Albury - and it was man made.

David.