Re: Decision on Alice to Darwin Rail now expected next Tuesday 8/6/99

In article <3762e3a3.2865420@news.ozemail.com.au> telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >) writes:
>From: telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >)
>Subject: Decision on Alice to Darwin Rail now expected next Tuesday 8/6/99
>Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 02:08:38 GMT

>Tuned into question time in the NT Assembly again
>today, (glutton for punishment), the Chief Minister had
>returned from his very quick trip South yesterday.

>He advised that the South Australian Parliament will
>commence a new session next Tuesday, and a joint NT and
>SA announcement will be made with regards to the
>successful tenderer.  He told the NT Assembly that he
>was absolutely confident the project will go ahead.

>HOWEVER.!! there is a problem, with regards to funding,
>no details were given.

>I am still taking Maurie Daly's advice, and not holding
>my breath.

>----Terry Burton
><< remove OZ for Email reply.>>

Last months Digest had a very brief article about this project in which it
mentioned that the tax treatment of some of the grants being made for this
project were very unhelpful to the proposed bidders.
I didnt quite understand the implications of the tax rules , but it seems that
although the feds have given $100 M for this project , they will get it all
back in increased tax receipts , ie the bidders have to find an extra $100 M.
None of this of course takes into account the effects of the GST.

MD