Re: History of the building of the NE SG line.

>The problem with the wheel falling into the frog-gap is sometimes
>eliminated, either intentionally or otherwise, by allowing the wheel
>to ride on its flange over the gap. You'll see the grooves where the
>flanges have worn into the area betwee the frog and rail-wing. I'm not
>certain about this but others lurking around here working for John
>Holland would know for sure.
>
>Les Brown.
Got me thinking about K crossings [this post] and as I usually sit in the
Engine and only feel or hear them as I pass over I thought I would get down
and have a look when we shunted Milos last night.
Now when working in old yards like Tottenham, the Loco does feel like it is
dropping into the "hole" as it traverses the K crossing, or frog, but in
newer yards and on all main line crossings, very little bump is felt that
could be attributed to dropping into a hole.
You do hear a lot of noise and the loco can be moved violently sideways, and
that seems to be the check rail forcing alignment with the 'frog'.
Modern Points have welded blades tightly bolted to the K crossing, and the
rails flex as the point machine moves the blades accross.The K crossing is
replaceable, making repairs to the Points easier.
watching the container flats going in and out of Milos, I could clearly see
that the tread of the wheel, does not at any time leave a rail, it 'makes
before it breaks' as it were. If you draw it out on paper you will see how
it is done.
Rod ;o)