Re: Cooma - Bombala Line - Maclaughlin's Siding

In <37528527.C73BE3D5@netspace.net.au> David Finch <finchy@netspace.net.au> writes:

>I recently had a photo trip from Cooma to Bombala, and came across a 3
>storey concrete building in the middle of no-where on the Old Bombala
>Road, past Nimmitabel.

>It is known as Maclaughlin's Siding (Near the Maclaughlin River),
>however the siding was obviously removed long before the rest of the
>line was decommissioned (1974?)

The last train ran to Bombala in 1986 I think.. Just a couple of years
before the mass-death of mail trains in late 1988 when I went to Tenterfield
on the last North Mail to experience a now-lost style of overnight rail
travel.

>Does anyone know what this building was - There are remains of boilers
>etc and something resembling a storage area on the top level, however
>there is no evidence of animal pens or any such thing, so I don't
>believe it was a slaughterhouse or timber mill.

Some sort of meat processing plant I think. Sited there because of easy rail
access, and access to the river for water supply and (presumably) waste
water disposal too.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport