Re: VR Staff & Ticket and Pilot Working

David Langley wrote:

> jdennis@acslink.net.au wrote:
>
> > Another similar oddity was in Tasmania, where the staff operations on
> > the North-West were "suspended" on Sundays allowing a single train to
> > run without manning stations.  I cannot remember the details, but will
> > check out my WTT (mid 60s, IIRC) when I get home.
>
> The electric staff system was suspended, not just at weekends but during the
> nights as well, and trains ran over long distances on a "Proceed Order".
> Proceed was pronounced as "Pro Seed" two words not one.

And Queensland did it extensively in relatively recent times.

There seem to be two motivations for these sorts of things - saving the
attendance of signallers (primarily an issue in Victoria) and saving the
TIME taken for a train to work itself through unattended stations (NSW
and Queensland, both of which were far more flexible in allowing train
crews to do signalling and staff-manipulation duties if a signaller was
not on duty). Which was it in Tasmania?

Eddie