Re: Alice to Darwin Railway, preferred builder selected.

In <375e3dcc.1890498@news.ozemail.com.au> telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >) writes:

>Just finished listening to Question time in the NT
>Assembly.  The Chief Minister Denis Burke advised that
>the ARC has selected a successful tender for the
>construction of the Alice Springs to Darwin railway.
>He did not give any further details.

And ARC is comprised of which companies? 8-) I presume the name means
'Australian Railway Consortium', or something like that?

I am very pleased to hear that there are positive movements happening the
last missing piece of the NAR. Even though the government is probably under
intense political pressure from the truck lobby to *not* build the rail
line, I think the economic realities have thrust the issue to a point where
*not* building the line would be politically and economically insensitive.

The construction will create a huge number of jobs during the time it takes
to build, and create many new opportunities after it's up and running. The
only link that will be missing once it's finished will be an east-west link
from the NAR to the central part of Eastern Australia to feed directly from
Darwin ports into the Brisbane/Sydney marketplace.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport