Re: RIP ASW?

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:43:01 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
wrote:

>If the money that was spent on the Newport to Ararat via Cressy line was spent
>on Sunshine to Ararat and include the money spent on the Ballarat line
>signalling anyway, you would end up with a better railway than todays alignment.
>You wouldn't for a start go down through Bacchus Marsh, a loop line could easily
>be built between ParwAn and the Rowsley bridge. No one is suggesting that the
>grades are going to be flattened but the railway is more direct and I still rest
>my case regarding the Cressy line.

I wonder if we would have been better off laying the SG via Meredith.
Not as short as via the Marsh but not as long as Cressy. It would
eliminate the Ingliston Bank problem and keep the Freight/Pass
conflicts to a minimum. The SG pass to Western Vic
(Horsham/Dimboola/Stawell/Ararat) could run via North Shore and
Ballarat.

>Anyway as Eddie pointed out earlier it's all academic anyway. The die has been
>cast and the railway is the poorer for it.

Agreed. CTC across the plains would help speed things up though.

Cheers

Krel

VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/

Waxy Wary Zany Zebu