Re: RIP ASW?

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
379C7F02.6B902026@ozemail.com.au">news:379C7F02.6B902026@ozemail.com.au...
> David Langley wrote:
>
> > Maurie,
> >
> > what on earth do you hope to achieve in the way of safety by barring
running crosses.
> > It merely transfers the point of impact from the side of the train to
the front. In
> > fact it could be argued that with running crosses it might be
potentially safer
> > because you might just miss the other bloke. If a train is going to run
through a
> > crossing loop (on either line) out of control then it is going to hit
anything in the
> > next section unless it can be pulled up in time but that is not going to
save a train
> > waiting at the opposing arrival home signal.
>
> It will stop a minor over-run causing a major disaster.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

Victoria has allowed running crosses on CTC (and ATC) without any problems,
this action of preventing running crosses on ARTC Track is just an over
reaction as the result of the Hines Hill collision.

Human error caused Hines Hill, if we are going to over react to every
incident by banning things we may as well stop running trains. Before this
accident running crosses were the norm on the South Line CTC.

The crossing Loops in NSW in general are so short it would be almost
imposible to do a running cross, (how long have they been forbidden in NSW)?

The speed proving on the Victorian Western CTC effectively prevents entering
the crossing loop (either track) at high speed as the signal will not clear
until the driver proves his speed to 40 km/h at the Arrival Clearing Board.
Of cause I realise red signals don't stop trains, drivers do,
(sometimes)<G>. but the speed proving, as much as it is a pain, does force
speeds to be low when performing a running cross.

Bob.

PS. Even the MET (Bayside) do running crosses on the Cranbourne line.