Re: Cars make more economic sense than transit: fact

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:25:58 +1000, "The Gardners"
<gardners@ihug.com.au> wrote:

>Amen! I still prefer driving towards public transport. Inside my car I can
>be the nicest, most courteous prick on the road. People can safely cross the
>street, overtake me, merge, etc. It really makes towards a great day and
>that picture of an idealic world and the assholes you do meet are easily
>shrugged off.
>
>Public transport...I can't be the nice guy anymore because people never
>respond kindly to you or at all!
>It's all, "This is MY personal air space, that means NO talking to me, NO
>looking at me, NO interaction at all!"
>I live in the western suburbs around Gisborne on several acres in a 4 year
>old upmarket home and it's a wonderful friendly country atmosphere but when
>I go into the city people don't smile!
>It's all heads down and don't look forward and don't look back. Get to where
>you're going and get back with great haste! Common courtesy takes a back
>seat.
>
>Car's are a luxury and I use mine because I love the pleasures of driving
>and now with 2 country stations in Melbourne, I'm wrapped!
>
>Al Gardner
<snip>

Very good point Al!

Being courteous to other drivers and pedestrians is a great way to
start the day.  It's even better when you're driving something like a
Lotus.  It's wonderful knowing that it makes all the inconsiderate
BMW, Merc. and Porsche drivers look much, much worse. ;-)

But it's amazing the difference the car you are driving makes to how
courteous other drivers are.  I recently had the Lotus (Lots of
trouble, usually serious) off the road for a few weeks and borrowed a
friend's Kingswood station wagon.

In the Lotus if I indicate to change lanes "most" people will allow me
to do so.  On the freeway a fair few people will even pull over into
the adjacent lane to let me go past.  Probably thinking I'll draw the
police, but it's good of them anyway!

However, in the Kingswood almost everybody "tried" to cut me off from
changing lanes.  Including a tense moment when I had to change lanes
to get past a truck stopped in the middle Lygon St. Carlton.  Some
bitch in a 4WD accelerated, trying to trap me behind the truck.  I
accelerated and changed lanes anyway, much to her displeasure.  She
started yelling and screaming and made a very big show of taking my
number plate.  But, it's not my car! :-)

Cheers...
1986 Lotus Excel S.E.