Re: A few Steamfreight Pics

Michael, I think you're taking a child's sandcastle here and constructing a
full-scale replica of Mount Kosciousko out of it.

If your photo is like Craig's, then the old man isn't very noticeable unless
someone goes and points him out to the average viewer. He's wearing a
dark-brown shirt/jacket/cardigan (delete whichever doesn't apply), and tends
to be almost invisible with the tree behind him. Now, if he were wearing a
day-glo orange safety vest it would be a different matter entirely.

Okay, to *you* he stands out like a sore thumb. That's because you apparently
felt rather cranky over the issue at the time. To people who weren't there,
aren't familiar with the situation and get a chance to see the picture/s that
result from the event, the old man in the picture is almost invisible. The
subject of the photo, after all, is the train crossing the bridge.

>From what I can see of the picture, the photographers are standing in a
paddock (private land - I hope you all got permission to enter), while the
aforementioned old fellow and children are in the watercourse over which the
bridge crosses (public land).

You probably travelled some miles for the weekend. The old man probably lives
in the region, and was taking his grandchildren (I assume they were his
grandchildren) out for a treat to see the steam-trains - something which
isn't exactly an everyday sight. Now, I'd say that if they'd encountered nice
people over the weekend, there may have been a couple of new railway
enthusiasts by the Monday. But if what they encountered was a mob of gunzel
tourists in the paddock telling them to get out of the way and that they had
no right to be walking around their own neighbourhood, then it is likely that
there'll be a couple of kids who will consider anything associated with
railways to be the epitome of things 'uncool.'

Roy.