Re: Tonight's Railway Adventures episode

David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote in message
379268BA.9373D03E@omni.com.au">news:379268BA.9373D03E@omni.com.au...
> Exnarc wrote:
> > > The Victorian tourist railway rules allow ANY unqualified person to
drive
> > > with the permission of the Manager, Mechanical Engineering at that
> > railway.
> > > If that person also happens to be the driver on the day (as is
sometimes
> > > the
> > > case), so what?
> >
> > Quote the rule David.
>
> 8.5.3 Authority to Drive
> No person other than a qualified driver is permitted to drive on any part
> of the Railway other than in accordance with an authorised training
program,
> or as authorised by the Manager, Mechanical Engineering and provided
> that a
> certified Driver is exercising direct supervision.
>
> > I doubt if OH&S Regulations would allow an un qualified person to
operate
> > any equipment unless undertaking instructional training.?
>
> See above.
>
> If you want to comment about OH&S regulations, bear in mind that many of
the
> DLI certificates have been withdrawn or modified. You don't need a boiler
> ticket to operate a locomotive boiler owned by the PTC. With the breakup
of
> the PTC, I don't know what applies now.
>
> Cheers
> David

I wasn't commenting on DLI boiler certificates I was pointing out that no
OH&S regs would allow a person to drive unless he was under the instruction
of a trainer.

8.5.3 States that. You said and I quote:

"The Victorian tourist railway rules allow ANY unqualified person to drive
with the permission of the Manager, Mechanical Engineering at that railway.
If that person also happens to be the driver on the day (as is sometimes the
case), so what?"

8.5.3 Doesn't say that!!!!

It says and I again quote you:

"No person other than a qualified driver is permitted to drive on any part
of the Railway other than in accordance with an authorised training program,
or as authorised by the Manager, Mechanical Engineering and provided that a
certified Driver is exercising direct supervision."

Thats a totally different definition.

Bob