Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

jumbojim@my-deja.com wrote:
> Capital cost (1990) PCs $4m ea TCs av $2m ea = $9,000 per day. You
> cannot make 2 trips per day with a single train consistently. It is
> physically possible with no other diagrams to make 4 trips in three days
> so that works out to be 1.3 trips per day or a capital cost of $6750 per
> trip.

My calculation is $5m per XP and $3m per trailer over 20 years, running
300 days per year.

> Access, likely to be more than $7000 as there is after all about 500km
> of double track.

I calculate roughly $0.9 per XP km and $0.7 per trailer km. Approx $5000
per trip.

> Total, at least $19150 per trip

My total comes to $20500 per trip.

> Capacity of Train = 350 +/-
> Likely load factor = 60%

I'll be optimistic and say 65%

> $per seat to break even $91 which compares to the published fare $96

Grand total, $90.11 per seat. Add a little more for sleepers and first class,
take off some for concessions. Even so, I fail to see how the NSW government
can support its claim they subsidise Countrylink passengers to the tune of
$80 per ticket!

Cheers
David