Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

In article <378C2F6B.9D7F207D@omni.com.au> David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> writes:
>Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:35:47 +1100
>From: David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

>jumbojim@my-deja.com wrote:
>> Capital cost (1990) PCs $4m ea TCs av $2m ea = $9,000 per day. You
>> cannot make 2 trips per day with a single train consistently. It is
>> physically possible with no other diagrams to make 4 trips in three days
>> so that works out to be 1.3 trips per day or a capital cost of $6750 per
>> trip.

>My calculation is $5m per XP and $3m per trailer over 20 years, running
>300 days per year.

>> Access, likely to be more than $7000 as there is after all about 500km
>> of double track.

>I calculate roughly $0.9 per XP km and $0.7 per trailer km. Approx $5000
>per trip.

>> Total, at least $19150 per trip

>My total comes to $20500 per trip.

>> Capacity of Train = 350 +/-
>> Likely load factor = 60%

>I'll be optimistic and say 65%

>> $per seat to break even $91 which compares to the published fare $96

>Grand total, $90.11 per seat. Add a little more for sleepers and first class,
>take off some for concessions. Even so, I fail to see how the NSW government
>can support its claim they subsidise Countrylink passengers to the tune of
>$80 per ticket!

>Cheers
>David

For what its worth in the year 1993-1994 which is the last year I have any
figures for the SRA as it was then, received $44 million in revenue from full
fares (ie non concession) and $64 million in revenue from concession fares.
They received a Govt subsidy of $7 million and incurred operating costs of
$141 million , ie made a net loss of $33 million.
Another interesting figure is the country passenger revenue in c/pass km
of 12.95 and costs in c/pass km of 16.91.
This is for all Country passenger excluding Urban.

Taken from BTCE Report No 40.
Analysis of the Rail deficit.

As a comparison here are some figures for other systems for the same year.
All units are c/pass-km

Vline	.
Revenue	6,43
Costs	33.77