Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

joneill <joneill@netspace.net.au> wrote in article
<7mf46u$e6k$1@otis.netspace.net.au>...
> The City of Perth obviously pays more attention to public transport..
>
> The problem we have is that our public transport has been eroed and run
down
> for
> nearly 20 years.. Public transport is really aweful over here...
>
> Then there is Melbourne's wonderfull <not> ticketing system......

I actually find Melbourne's public transport system superior to that in the
city I currently live in, Sydney. I don't see what is wrong with
Melbourne's ticketing system, it's far better than Sydney's, where most of
the metro area is covered by private bus companies whose ticketing is
completely separate from those of the trains and the inner-city Government
buses. Melbourne tickets are easy to understand, use colour-coded zones and
their stations have good car parks too (often secured, as mentioned earlier
in this thread). Car parks at rail stations in the outer suburbs are either
non-existant or too small, with the result that you either have to use the
private bus service (which, I might add, is dreadful) or drive all the way
too work. The only thing I like better about Sydney is that the electric
rail network is much more widespread, unlike Melbourne where even
Craigieburn and Melton are required to use the V-Line rural network to get
a whole 30km / 20 miles into the city centre!

Anyway, that's my tuppeny bit,
Regards,
Bradley.