Re: Authorised to run on Hillside Trains tracks

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
3789D0FC.C9F93A7E@ancc.com.au">news:3789D0FC.C9F93A7E@ancc.com.au...

> The other thing interesting in the addenda is just when
has the signalling
> been redefined. It appears that what has quite happily
existed for many years
> (1916) as three position signalling is now known as
Automatic Block
> Signalling. What a stupid name. Whose idea was this?

Methinks it was several years ago, I *think* it became a
safeworking qualification in its own right, and Signallers
etc. didn't need to know Double Line Block & Electric Staff
as base qualifications.  It was in Somersault, I'm sure.
Now Mr President, when is Somersault going to become
available on CD??? :o)

> If you must rename it, surely Track Circuit Block is
nearer to correct but
> there is nothing wrong with three position signalling
given that a recent
> thread on the subject couldn't make up it mind about the
extra aspects. It is
> still 3 pos because you have clear, caution (small variety
of conditions) and
> stop.

The pedantic within me could point out that if Victoria was
to ever use Axle Counters in Power Signalling, then it would
become a misleading name...

Automatic Block Signalling is something of a oddity, in that
it can be a double line section (up/down lines) or a single
line section, so therefore, a single line section can be
ABS, ATC, or CTC.

Why run a single line section with ABS instead of CTC or
ATC?  The only thing off the top of my head is CTC & ATC
require a funny caution order to pass the departure home @
stop, whereas with ABS the Departure Home is just another
home, passed like any other home, even verbally if the box
is recorded.

That's enough waffle for now...

--
Mr Notagunzel.