Re: Authorised to run on Hillside Trains tracks

Notagunzel wrote:

> Now Mr President, when is Somersault going to become
> available on CD??? :o)

Coming, the editor has it in hand.

> > If you must rename it, surely Track Circuit Block is
> nearer to correct but
> > there is nothing wrong with three position signalling
> given that a recent
> > thread on the subject couldn't make up it mind about the
> extra aspects. It is
> > still 3 pos because you have clear, caution (small variety
> of conditions) and
> > stop.
>
> The pedantic within me could point out that if Victoria was
> to ever use Axle Counters in Power Signalling, then it would
> become a misleading name...

No, it would not be Track Circuit Block then, it would be something
else, it might be Axle Counter Block.

> Automatic Block Signalling is something of a oddity, in that
> it can be a double line section (up/down lines) or a single
> line section, so therefore, a single line section can be
> ABS, ATC, or CTC.

Yes and it could be Track Circuit Block with modifications.

> Why run a single line section with ABS instead of CTC or
> ATC?  The only thing off the top of my head is CTC & ATC
> require a funny caution order to pass the departure home @
> stop, whereas with ABS the Departure Home is just another
> home, passed like any other home, even verbally if the box
> is recorded.

The rules should be fixed up now to abolish either ATC or CTC and
disallow ABS. Then we could have one system of automatic signalling with
various conditions relating to double or single line operation.

> That's enough waffle for now...

I don't mind waffles provided they have the right jam on top.

DEL