Re: Chubb Guards

WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote in message ...
>Derick Wuen wrote in message <37835eb2.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
>
>>Should we therefore pay employees to stand around all day, mostly bored
>>witless, waiting for those few hundred passengers? That too would be
>grossly
>>uneconomical.
>>
>>The way I see it, proper technologically up to date ticketing is the
>answer.
>>If there are stations that will not generate the revenue to cover the cost
>>of providing proper facilities, they should be closed.
>>
>>Can you see a different solution?
>
>Yes - have Authority To Travel (ATT) machines at those stations - they
>already exist at some CityRail stations. These machines require you to
place
>*some* money in the machine (minimum 50c) and issue a receipt that is your
>Authority To Travel. You hand this receipt in at your destination, aand the
>amount you paid is deducted from your fare. But more improtantly, it serves
>as evidence of where you commenced your journey - it is impossible to say
>that you came from Redfern when you actually came from Wingello, for
>example.
>
>In the case of people travelling between two of these types of stations,
you
>would have at least got *some* money out of them.
>
>I would also have a grossly beefed up Revenue Protection force. In
>Newcastle, there is a 50% chance of having your ticket checked on train by
>an RPI - this needs to be expanded across the system. With this level of
>ticket checking (both on-train and at stations) people will not be prepared
>to take the risk of travelling on an invalid ticket or without a ticket.
>Those that are stupid enough to do so will be caught very quickly.
>
>DaveP

Authority to travel idea looks good to me.

As one who used to get on the train at Redfern, entering at the Everleigh
end where there was no ticketing most times, my credibility was always
highly suspect with the post-travel ticketing nazis errr people at Wynyard
and Town Hall.

Furthermore, if the RPI's could all be made to look like 7FAAWA&Ts (7 foot
afro americans with attitude and truncheons) or else dress them in SWAT gear
like another poster said of the security on Berlin S-Bahn, we could improve
security and decrease the incidence of flat spots on Tangaras.