Re: Chubb Guards

Innocent bystanders, stand well back. This is gonna be confusing, at best.
WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote in message ...
>Derick Wuen wrote in message <3781f453.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
>
>>According to the Telegraph,
>
>You do not believe EVERYTHING you read in that rag, do you?

Haven't bought one for 20 something years... neither packer press nor
murdoch press hold any credibility. I chose to believe a posting to this NG
by WhaleOilBeefHooked on 5/7/99, and follow-ups... check it out.

>>fare paying, like taxes, is entirely voluntary
>>these days. The ticket collectors are opening the gates and letting the
>>evaders out! ...... and you want to finesse the off-peak times from
>>Central......
>
>Mainly because staff are so demoralised that they cannot be bothered doing
>their jobs.

yep, and as a result......

>>System looks as if its beyond fine tuning, me ol' vat of blubber.
>
>It would actually have its benefits - if you have all tickets going through
>auto gates (where fitted) and if you also have the gates setup so that they
>work the way they are supposed to - most gates full-fare only, one or two
>gates concession fares only - and have RPI's on those gates checking
>concession passes you would cut down on the number of people travelling on
>concession tickets when not entitled to.
>
>By having all of the gates in operation, you would then be able to
implement
>a system whereby those on off-peak tickets would not be able to travel
>between, say, 1600 and 1830 - the gates would not let them in or out.
>
>This would either create more revenue (through having to purchase normal
>return tickets, OR paying extra to upgrade) OR it would create more seats
on
>evening peak services, due to the number of people on OP tickets not
>travelling during these times.
>
>DaveP

S**ffed if I know what an RPI, or an OP ticket may or may not be. I don't
live (or want to live) in NSW.

Check out my response to your posting on fare evasion. What I said (in part)
was

<If Cityrail had a decent automatic ticket issuing and collection system,
say
like Washington DC subway, the resources it saved could be used (partly) to
improve security, say like Washington DC subway. Reluctance to invest
capital in such a system for ALL entry and exit points is a political, not a
Cityrail management problem.>

So, wheel oil B thingymajig,  I think we agree on one issue..... ticketing
issuance and collection systems on Cityrail are out of date and in dire need
of a capital injection.

As an aside, given your interest in off-peak price-elasticity, the
Washington DC subway (why do I keep on going back to that example?)
ticketing system can do all sorts of price-senitive charging...

Off-peak is easy; it knows when you got on, and when you got off, and debits
your ticket accordingly. Ok so you have to have a small group of people who
end up having to supplement their ticket to get OUT. A good example of
flexibility is 4 July celebrations when 500,000 (that right 500,000) people
are expected to occupy the space between the Lincoln Memorial and the
Capitol to watch the fireworks. If this lot carred in there would be
noticeably more chaos in Washington than usual. So the subway runs for FREE
between certain hours to certain stations, simply by adjusting the ticketing
system.

Also the system can charge differentially according to PLACE of entrance and
exit. So as well as off-peak incentives, there can be incentives to use it
cross town and to keep out of the CBD streets. A tradesman with a trolley of
tools or supplies going to/from assignment is frequent sight on subway,
keeps vans off streets and out of parking spots.

I short, its a USEFUL system.

For the sake of the title of this thread (its not the daily telegraph one,
after all) can we also agree that Chubb contracted-in security should be
replaced by a pair of 7 foot afro americans for each station in police
uniforms with 3ft truncheons and six-shooters on the hip, and with attitude.
I'm talkin' r-e-s-p-e-c-t heayr!

(Some might say the phrase "7ft afro american with attitude" is a tad
tautological.... I'd agree, yes suh!)

At the risk of another cross-thread (thought they only happened with tapered
boiler washout plugs, but there you go) we might also minimise the alarming
outbreak of flat-spotted Tangaras, at least from the "vandelised" handbrakes
source, by employment of said afro americans to patrol trains and terrorise
passengers errrrr keep an eye on esteemed clients.