Re: 6039 [was 6029 thread]

Yuri J Sos/Melbourne wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:35:20 +1000, robson <robson@cia.com.au> wrote,
> and I selectively quote:
>
> >Members should stop putting news about our Museum's day to day progress
> >on the Internet; some enthusiasts will not join up as Members, if they can learn
> >what's going on without paying Membership fees."
>
> I've joined a couple of Societies in the last couple of years on the
> basis that once I'd discovered what they were doing and the level of
> support they needed, I felt a membership was an appropriate way to
> support that group.
>
> If a Society keeps its affairs as "Secret Men's Business", they'll
> stay small and unknown.  It's their choice to make.
>
> I'd be saying to the members "Hand out our newsletter as an example of
> the work we're doing and the work ahead of us still to be done and ask
> for support by membership."
>
> You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Well, The reason why I have only ever been a member of two societies is because ones
you support one, the others say you are bias and want you to support them and if you
don't you get an unwelcome  feeling.

That is why I look at groups, I will support them by way of tours and speciel events
but I don't want to be cuaght in the bitch fight that goes on.