Re: Whats it like in Melb?

azure@netspace.net.au wrote:

> > Is anyone able to say why the trains are "intimidating" at night?
> >
> > It's a good few years now since I have been on a night train in
> > Melbourne, as on my frequent visits "home" I have usually used the trams
> > at night and always found them safe.
> >
> > Are there muggers on the trains at night, or just the drunks and other
> > unpleasant types who used to be on them when I was a kid living in Box
> > Hill in the 1970s?
> >
> > David McLoughlin
> > Auckland New Zealand
>
>   Hi David,
>
> It is just the drunks and junkies and some unpleasant types.  Doesn't mean
> it's not intimidating :)  Doesn't mean it can't also be entertaining too.
> Got a great reportaire of jokes overheard one late night train ride going
> home from work.

Well, I used to catch the last and second last trin to Glenroy alot of the
time, so bassically I was travelling on the Broadmeadows line and found that
alot of the time, there where some people you didn't want to sit next to but
never had any trouble.

SInce I moved I have had little reason to catch a train home at night as I
usually drive and have not had any problems with people on the few times I
have cought the train on the Frankston line.