Re: The stupidity of passengers.

In article <369684FB.42A194B0@ozemail.com.au>, David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> mstrutt@newsmail.tafensw.edu.au wrote:
>
>>         I used to think that the third world service with first world
>>         fares offered by Cityrail was due primarily to management/govt
>>         incompetence and bastardry, with perhaps a small factor due
>>         to a few apathetic moronic little Hitlers working there.
>
> Have you ever travelled on a third world service?  I should think not with an ill-informed comment such as that.

	Five years in India travelling largely on trains.
	Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam (the only one worse value
	for money than here).

	Singapore, though not third world, is a good example
	of how an urban rail system should be run.

>>         Since starting to read this NG, I have come to the conclusion
>>         that while perhaps not the majority, moronic little Hitlers
>>         are the norm at Cityrail. Even if the government can be
>>         made to offer a credible service, it will still be provided
>>         by tiny minded racist bastards who want a uniform to throw
>>         their pathetic weight around in. I guess the rail workers
>>         with enough brains to see what's going on and get organised
>>         have already been gotten rid of.
>
> You cannot understand what it is like unless you have actually worked for the railways.  I get abused by
> everybody for just doing my job.  I have a timetable to maintain, but everybody thinks they have a right to make
> the train wait for them.  If you want to see people without brains, stand at Bondi Junction or Martin Place in
> the peak hour, and count the number of people who ignore "Stand Clear Doors Closing" and the subsequent
> whistles.

	Funny you mentioned those examples.
	I did stand at Martin Place for a couple of hours during the rush a few
	years back marvelling at the strange commuter crowd psychosis that
	affected the way people behaved and the expressions on their faces.

	However these are facts of commuting for a long time the world over,
	don't you think it's time CR started dealing realistically with it
	instead of forcing staff to lump it. And don't you think the staff
	could be a little more contructive than whinging about passengers
	and calling for armed guards?

	However, if the staff *want* to play Hitler instead of providing
	a good service in a comfortable, safe workspace they are using
	the right tactics.

>They also ignore the fact that the doors are closing and jump into the train, causing injury to
> themselves and other passengers.

	A few months ago CR staff at Central seemed to
	have decided that the 'Stand clear ..."
	message should be played before the doors
	had even opened. Needless to say the
	resulting crush made the stops twice
	as long and resulted in people having to
	rush closing doors.

	At least passengers aren't *paid* to be stupid.

								- michael

> --
> David Johnson
> CityRail Guard
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

Michael Strutt                          Title: Analyst/Programmer
Applications                            Phone: 9950-1844
Information Technology Bureau             Fax:
TAFE NSW, Australia                  Internet: MICHAEL.STRUTT@tafensw.edu.au