Re: V/Line Pass Locomotives

In article <36D6242B.2FC16832@mailbox.uq.edu.au> Rob Kearey <r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au> writes:
>From: Rob Kearey <r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: V/Line Pass Locomotives
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:33:47 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> The obvious question here is why do VLF need locos with HEP?

>You might well ask what ASR are doing with CLP's.

>I theorise that the crew uses the HEP to keep the beer cold for those
>long, hot, Nullabor trips.

>> MD

Well when ASR initially bought AN , the CLPs were hauling the Overland plus
the IP and the Ghan , so the HEP was needed.
Also there wasnt a choice, ASR got the locos that NR didnt want , or were not
offered.
The Ps were initially bought with HEP ,specifically for hauling Vline pass
trains that needed HEP.
It would seem to me more logical to give all the Ps to VLP , and give some of
the As, which dont have HEP , and therefore need power cars to VLF.

MD