Re: New Era Ahead.

"dirtcircuitvideos" <dirtcircuitvideos@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>Australian Railways are on the Move, Great things are happening
>thanks to Private Enterprise.
>
>Great Southern Railways is to run a special " Indian Pacific
>Ghan " combination  from Sydney through Broken Hill
>Peterborough and Adelaide to The Alice  12 April, I have
> been told that The Train will be stopping at Peterborough
> Station where high ranking officials of the Company will inspect
>The Peterborough Station Complex along with plans
>to Reopen The Complex.
[SNIP]

GSR intend the Sydney Ghan to be a permanent part of
their roster.  The NT Government, Alice Springs Town
Council and local Tourist operators are right behind
GSR with their new venture.  The last Sydney to Alice
Springs service was "The Alice" run by Australian
National and the SRA of NSW, unfortunately for AN, the
brain dead honcho's of the NSW rail system insisted
that The Alice be a first class train only.!

AN never stood a chance against the parochial state
rail systems of NSW and Vic.  AN knew what the game was
with freight and pass trains, but the dullard's in the
East Coast, frustrated every move at every opportunity.

The sooner the states with their best 19th Century
signaling, safe working and thinking practices are
taken out of the standard gauge operations in Australia
the better the chance of rail surviving the massive
onslaught of the trucking and coach industry.

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT