Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<<<That's not quite right. Home Signals protect a risk, be it a crossover,
> loop or level crossing whatever. So it is quite possble to have a Home
> Starter where a Starter also protects a crossover or other risk.
> eg A home Starter is used to protect the crossover for Bi-Directional
> sections like Zig Zag to Edgecombe.>>>>>>>>>
>
> Maybe in NSW, but in Vic a home signal protects something physical, the old
> exam question went something like this: "What do home signals protect?"
>
> Answer: "Home signals protect Points, junctions, fouling points of an adjoining
> or crossover road etc, (Rod, Krel help me out here, it's a while since I took a
> VR exam!)

>From the old rope learning days (though it might have changed a fair bit now)
Home Signals.
They are placed at Stations, Junctions, sidings, signal boxes and level crossings
and as a rule are so placed to indicate by their position the lines to which they
apply.
There were 3 exceptions for passing a home.

> Starting signals govern the entrance into a double line block section, think of
> a starter as similar to a staff, like a staff, if the starter is not at proceed
> you are not allowed into the section.
>
> In Vic, there is a distict difference between a starter and a home, they even
> have a different set of exceptions to pass at stop.

Starting signals or where provided advanced starting signals control the entrance
of trains into the section ahead.
There was 4 exceptions for passing a starting signals.
To make matters more confusing though, when an advanced starting signal was
provided, the same four exceptions that applied to the starting signal for passing
it at the stop position applied to the advanced starting signal, but the starting
signal then only had 2 exceptions to pass it.

> Mark.
>
> Visit my train pic website at:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/

Gavin Potter.