Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

<<<<<<<That's not quite right. Home Signals protect a risk, be it a crossover,
loop or level crossing whatever. So it is quite possble to have a Home
Starter where a Starter also protects a crossover or other risk.
eg A home Starter is used to protect the crossover for Bi-Directional
sections like Zig Zag to Edgecombe.>>>>>>>>>

Maybe in NSW, but in Vic a home signal protects something physical, the old
exam question went something like this: "What do home signals protect?"

Answer: "Home signals protect Points, junctions, fouling points of an adjoining
or crossover road etc, (Rod, Krel help me out here, it's a while since I took a
VR exam!)

Starting signals govern the entrance into a double line block section, think of
a starter as similar to a staff, like a staff, if the starter is not at proceed
you are not allowed into the section.

In Vic, there is a distict difference between a starter and a home, they even
have a different set of exceptions to pass at stop.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/