Re: It's Academic

I hope that my typing of RNV today has not been too distracted by this
running though the back of the brain.
--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in article
<36C54AF2.9D8D3FDE@enternet.com.au>...
> Here are some mindless Australian railway station trivia questions upon
> which to waste some time.  The first correct answer posted to aus.rail
> will win recognition as the first correct answer posted to aus.rail
>

> Question 1:  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Kromelite
> 		Bombala
> 		Crowes
> 		Hobart
> 		Wallangarra
> 		Albany
Everyone seems to have this one: southernmost on system.

> Question 2:  What do the following passenger stations have in common?
>
> 		Bullock's Flat
> 		Morwell
> 		Robina
> 		Armadale
Electrification is an easy one (but Morwell has lost its).  Presumably
Chris wanted something else.

> Question 3:  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Werris Creek
> 		Footscray
> 		Mangalore
> 		Western Junction
> 		Blacktown  [I'm not so sure about this one]
Everyone has this: the V shaped junction platform.

> Question 4:  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Mount Barker Junction
> 		Dunolly
> 		Pinnaroo
> 		Tailem Bend
I imagine that Chris wanted dual bg & sg; but I don't think that Pinnaroo
meets the condition.

> Question 5:  What do the following passenger stations have in common?
>
> 		Adelaide Terminal
> 		Currambine
> 		Robina
> 		Olympic Park
> 		Merinda Park
I am assuming that Adelaide Terminal means the rebuilt bg station at North
Terrace; presumably all were built/opened in the 1990s.

> Question 6:  What do the following passenger stations have in common?
>
> 		Orange
> 		Townsville
> 		Bendigo
Somebody else beat me: You can still change trains there.  I was going for
a dock platform sufficiently long for loco-hauled trains to use it (as
distinct from railmotors).

> Question 7:  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Maldon
> 		Sale
> 		Winton
> 		Launceston
> 		St Kilda
Everyone has gone for the need for through trains to reverse.  True at
Maldon and Sale; probably true at St Kilda (on a link closed over 100 years
ago).  Did Launceston have through trains from Western Junction to the
Herrick Line?  Did Winton have through trains?  When Sunlanders were
diverted during flooding, I guess that they used the fork, and backed in if
using the station.

> Question 8:  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Melbourne Central
> 		Warialda
> 		Wyalong Central
> 		Gular
Somebody picked the lack of a matching town.  I don't know about Gular.
Railway Hotel at Warialda is at the station, a long way from the town.

> Question 9:  What do the following passenger stations have in common?
>
> 		Croydon
> 		Cheltenham
> 		Richmond
> 		Fairfield
> 		Windsor
These are five station names which occur on four systems.  AFAIK there is a
sixth; there is also a name which appears on five systems, as it was used
for a crossing loop on one of the Pilbara lines (Emu? Wombat? Koala?).

> Question 10:  What is common across these three PAIRS of passenger
> stations.
>
> 		Roma Street and Spencer Street
> 		Kuranda and Bunbury
> 		Gawler Central and Warrnambool
RS & SS each have narrower and wider gauges.
Kuranda and Bunbury each have only narrow gauge.
GC & W each have only bg.

> Question 11:  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Clayfield
> 		Ascot
> 		Circular Quay
> 		Kogarah
> 		Mont Albert
> 		Footscray
> 		Claremont
> 		Welshpool
> 		East Perth
> 		Fremantle
> 		Ashfield
> 		Eaglehawk
> 		Golden Square
> 		Moonee Ponds
> 		Glen Iris
> 		Glenorchy
> 		Kalgoorlie
> 		Boulder
> 		North Geelong
> 		(and more)
All had tram termini of the same name (not just adjacent tram lines).

> Question 12  What do the following stations have in common?
>
> 		Wynyard (Tas)
> 		Pippita
> 		Mildura
> 		Mount Gambier
> 		Cunnamulla

I can't agree with terminating trains on a through line.  AFAIK the
extension beyond Cunnamulla was never more than the start of a formation,
never completed, never opened.  I have no serious suggestion, and no
lightweight one either.