Re: It's Academic

Roderick Smith wrote:

> > Question 2:  What do the following passenger stations have in common?
> >
> >               Bullock's Flat
> >               Morwell
> >               Robina
> >               Armadale
> Electrification is an easy one (but Morwell has lost its).  Presumably
> Chris wanted something else.

Probably Southernmost Electrified stations of each state.

> > Question 3:  What do the following stations have in common?
> >
> >               Werris Creek
> >               Footscray
> >               Mangalore
> >               Western Junction
> >               Blacktown  [I'm not so sure about this one]
> Everyone has this: the V shaped junction platform.

Not exactly.  Blacktown 1/2 platform is an island platform on the branch.3/4
platform is an island platform on the up Western lines.
5/6 platform is an island platform on the down Western lines.
1/2 is connected to 3/4 & 5/6 by a loooooong footbridge, requiring passengers to

put their tickets through the ticket machines to exit the station, and again to
enter
the station - just to change trains!
How many stations require you to do this to change trains?
Blacktown Plat 1-2 --> 3-6
Sydney Central Plat 1-3 --> 4-25 doesn't count as you don't have to re-enter
your ticket.
Any more?

> > Question 6:  What do the following passenger stations have in common?
> >
> >               Orange
> >               Townsville
> >               Bendigo
> Somebody else beat me: You can still change trains there.  I was going for
> a dock platform sufficiently long for loco-hauled trains to use it (as
> distinct from railmotors).

Orange no longer has a dock platform (Well it does, but the track has been
ripped up)

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard