Re: It's Academic

In article <7a5cb1$t3b$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Bill Bolton (billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org) wrote:

> > > Correct
>
> > St Kilda?
>
> To Brighton. It was originally a railway before being converted to a
> tramway.

David,

This is the statement you made which started an extremely long thread about
the (later) VR tram from St Kilda to Brighton.	You obviously didn't bother
to read any of the subsequent postings.

The line along the streets to Brighton was indeed promulgated as an "electric
street railway" - a tramway in every sense other than the legalities.

The *railway* line ran back out of St Kilda in a big loop to Windsor, and
then onwards to Brighton.  I have a suspicion that the entrance to the goods
yard at Windsor was in fact the remains of the long closed line to St Kilda.
The line closed a long time ago after the direct line fro South Yarra to
Windsor was opened.  My 'VR to 64' hasn't seen the light of day for over ten
years, but maybe it is time I dug it out to give the opening and closing
dates.

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html