My trip to Sydney.

    One day, I decided I wanted a day out, so I went to Sydney.
    I took the "Southern Cross" from Melbourne on the evening of
Wednesday the 10th. All of these horror stories I have heard about the
Countrylink "Gestapo" turned out to be false (at least on Wed) as the
announcements were brief and informative, and the ticket checkers were
laughing and when someone was found to be in the wrong seat, they
politely informed him of where his seat was and even assisted with his
baggage. The catering staff member who brought around the meal tickets
was cracking a lot of jokes and announced his dinner menu politely to
anyone who asked (even though it had been announced over the PA system
twice). Dinner was delicious (New England Beef, with beans and Potatoes)
and I found the price for this very reasonable ($7.50). My seat was very
comfortable and I managed to sleep solidly for 6 hours. I woke up at
about 0500 at Moss Vale and bought breakfast (raisin toast and hot
chocolate). We arrived on time in Sydney at 0645.
    I then bought a "Day Rover" ticket (a bit steep at $20) and caught a
train to Circular Quay. I then proceeded to travel on as many trains,
ferries and buses as I could. Here are some things I noticed about
Sydney's public transport:

1 - Guards on trains are very helpful with their announcements and most
PAs work on trains
2 - The suburban trains are very uncomfortable if you are traversing the
whole line (as I did many times)
3 - The Tangara windows are often dirty and the double glazing makes it
hard to see out of them.
4 - Mixed'n'matched train sets running around makes for interesting
viewing.
5 - Seats on new blue and white ferries (single deck catamarans) are
very uncomfortable for a large person like myself.
6 - Limited stops trains throughout the system all day are great - fast
trip.

I travelled to Waterfall by train where, are there any shops there apart
from that greasy little Fish and Chip place where they overcook
everything?
    When travelling back to Melbourne (that night on the "Southern
Cross" again) I arrived a Central at 2020 for a 2043 departure. No sign
of the XPT on platform 2. we had the passengers, the meals and the
luggage, but no train. It finally arrived at 2045 (2 minutes after
departure time)!! We were away by 2110 and the problem was described to
us as a "Mechanical Failure at the Meeks Rd Depot". The dinner was late,
but as a bonus, the canteen staff brought it too our seats! I had the
Thai Curry Chicken with rice which was very nice again. The "Gestapo"
were again on their best behaviour whilst calmly and pleasantly sorting
out the double booking in the seat opposite mine. I didn't sleep well
that night due to the flat wheel on the bogie underneath, fellow next to
me (in the window seat) constantly getting up to walk around and the
driver trying to make up time. It worked because we arrived in Melbourne
at 0700 (5 minutes early).
    It was a very pleasant trip to Sydney and nice to know that all of
those previous complaints about the "Stainless Steel Worm" and it's crew
have all been fixed or hidden away for somebody else to worry about.

Sam Eades