Re: It's Academic

In article <36c7ac9c.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:

> jdennis@acslink.net.au wrote in message <7a686h$3r9$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> >In article <36c66eae.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
> >> You can add Toowoomba to this list. Westlander must reverse to continue
> >> also.
> >> (Willowburn station was given up as a bad joke)
> >
> >When did this change take place
>
> I went for a joyride (if you could call it that) to Charleville about August
> last year on account I've never ridden the Westlander. On the forward
> journey, we went around the angle towards Willowburn then set back to the
> platform. On the return journey, we went straight into the platform then set
> back to continue to Brisbane. On enquiring of the station staff, they told
> me they were losing too much time at Willowburn due to making multiple stops
> for passengers. Willowburn was closed and operations returnes to Toowoomba.
> I can't give you a date though.

Interesting.  On a previous visit to Toowoomba, before the change to
operating on the direct line was made, I am sure the Brisbane bound train
went around the angle, and was then worked back in to the platform at
Toowoomba.  I have (vague) recollections of a shunting loco being attached
for the reverse move, and of a long headshunt existing parallel to the
mainline to allow such a move without entering into the next section.

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html