Re: DUBBO XPT BUFFET SERVICE

Eddie Oliver wrote in message <36C7CC41.4A05@efs.mq.edu.au>...

>Please explain what is so unique about NSW that it takes so long to
>balance the books on Countrylink services, whereas other systems do not
>find it necessary to close their food services so long before the end of
>a journey?

There is also the fact that the train goes to Meeks Road ASAP after arrival,
so they really do need to clear the buffet as quickly as they can,
particularly off ST2, NT4 and NT26. They need to allow a bit of time in case
they have difficulties. Other systems do not utilise their stock as
intensively as Countrylink does (I was going to use the term "run their
stock into the ground" but I decided against it.

>Or is it more realistically a commentary on the Countrylink management
>strategies, wherein staff are expected to have finished all their duties
>by the time the train reaches its terminal, whereas other systems allow
>extra time for the completion of duties after arrival?

This definitely is a part of it. Countrylink management think that they are
grossly overstaffed on the trains (maybe it is the other way around and the
offices are overstaffed?) - even now, they are trialling reducing the
on-board crew to 4 for a full 7-car XPT.

>Or is it simply a question of attitudes towards customer service?

This might be a part of it too - after all, if your management treats you
like crap, and so do the passengers, who can really be bothered delivering
quality service?

DaveP