Re: DUBBO XPT BUFFET SERVICE

Ron BEST wrote in message <36c7af01.0@139.134.5.33>...
>Did a return trip to Orange recently (28-30 Jan 1999) on the XPT. Excellent
>trip, apart from lots of per-way speed restrictions. (20 min late on the
>down at Orange, 15 on the up at Penrith). BUT - the buffet closed on the up
>at 1945h - over 1 3/4 hrs before arrival at Sydney Central!

Lets see - if the train was 15 late at Penrith, assume it will still be 15
late at SYD - giving it a 2103 arrival - that is only 1hr 15 before arrival.
I think this is reasonable, after all, they have stocktaking to do, cash to
count, etc.

>I've heard talk
>before about having to "reckon up" - can't somebody buy them a calculator
>replace the abacus they must use??? (or is it fingers and toes??)

There is a lot more to it than that. Now that the stock provision is
privatised, the stock-taking must be pretty spot on. Also with the greater
variety that people are demanding, they have so many more things to count.

DaveP