Re: DUBBO XPT BUFFET SERVICE

David Proctor wrote:

> There is a lot more to it than that. Now that the stock provision is
> privatised, the stock-taking must be pretty spot on. Also with the greater
> variety that people are demanding, they have so many more things to count.

They also need to put all the stock into the blue crates and stack them ready
for swift departure upon arrival at Sydney Central.  The cash register takes
ages to print out a summary.  I think their biggest problem is that they close
the register at a set time, not a set place.  IMHO closing the buffet at
Campbelltown on an up service is quite acceptable.  Closing the buffet at Moss
Vale on a late up service is not.  I once rode an Exploder from Canberra that
was open from Queanbeyan to Exeter - half the trip.

OTOH, how many passenger train operators man the buffet 24 hours?  Um.... one I
think.  QR close at around 22:00.  GSR close at around 20:30.  I quite like the
fact that if I can't sleep on the Brisbane XPT, I can go and get a pie at 3:00
in the morning.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard