Re: V/Line pass. paint scheme question.

Craig Haber wrote:

> I should have been more specific - I mean level crossing not protected by flashing
> lights/boom barriers.  There are plenty of private farmers crossing points with no
> signs etc.

Some of these farmers can do some downright stupid things.  I was once on a 13,000
tonne coal train doing 80 km/h which rounded a bend to see a Utility parked across the
line with the farmer standing in front of it opening the gate.  The train driver
applied the emergency brake and sounded the horn.  The farmer ran back to his truck
and moved it out of the way with less than a foot to spare.  The train stopped 4 locos
and 7 wagons past the site of the crossing.  The farmer got out of the truck but could
not stand up as his legs were jelly.  Understandable, as the coupler would have gone
straight through the passenger side door and killed his 8 year old son.  It would have
been his fault entirely, but the train driver would have to live with it too.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard