Re: What happened?

M.B. and C.M.McDonald wrote in message <7a651l$8m2$1@titan.xtra.co.nz>...
>I agree with you Les.
>
>I'm behind in my reading, and surprised to find no-one else has commented.
>The sooner railways move to in-cab signalling (combined with automatic
>braking if the speeds are exceeded) the better.

London Underground Limited (LUL) has introduced ATP, In-cab signalling AND
Automatic Train Operation on the Central line. The train is driven by the
computer system and there is no need for wayside signals except in depots.
Trouble is, they still have to employ a "Driver"? to operate the doors and
"give right away" to the computer. Seems they spent millions of pounds
bringing in a system that would eliminate the driver only to keep him there
to tell the computer the train was OK to depart. False economy?

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland
matticue@corplink.com.au