Re: New QR railcars

In article <36c66eb2.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:

> petan@ion.com.au wrote in message <36c606e0.2828911@news.ion.com.au>...
> >The ABC radio news just had an item about Walkers having a new
> >contract to build four new railcars.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Peter Cokley
>
> Peter,
>             Could you elaboate on this please? Are they intended for QR? If
> so, are for suburban or rural use? I have not heard of any such thing and
> our office is usually well informed. Mind you, this NG has been the first
> souce of info in many previous cases. TIA

I believe the four railcars to which you refer are actually the four
3-car electric trains for the Airtrain Citylink Pty Ltd. Brisbane
Airport Rail Link.  See page 2 of the Courier Mail, Friday, February 12
for details.  My understanding is that Walkers currently has a contract
to build 30 x 3-car SMU derived sets for Citytrain - at the end of which
a further 4 IMU like sets (but with additional luggage space) will be
built for the Airport line.  The reason for the use of an IMU derived
design is that the proposed Airport service includes Airport to
Robina trains - quarter hourly service consisting of two trains an
hour each way Airport <-> Roma St and two trains per hour each way
between Airport and Robina.

The proposed Airport line is to be a privately financed and constructed
line from between Eagle Junction and Toombul to the international and
domestic terminals.  The line will roughly follow Schultz's Canal before
crossing Airport Drive and running on the eastern side of the road through
elevated stations at both terminals.  A substantial amount of elevated
construction is to be used, avoiding tunnelling, level crossings and
the risk of flooding at the Toombul end of the line.  Once again, QLD
residents can see the Courier Mail article for a rough map of the proposed
line.

The QLD Government press release (gumpf!) dated February 11 follows. This
project was previously announced by the Borbidge (Coalition) Government,
but was largely ignored by the media, and the original date for commencement
of construction lapsed with no action.  The original schedule would have
seen detailed design commence by August last year, construction by November
and trains running by around mid 2000.

--Colin Weaver

>From: premier@cabinet.qld.gov.au
>Subject: Qld. Media statement - Brisbane Airport rail link to go ahead
>Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:38:02 +1000
>
>Premier,   HON. PETER BEATTIE
>
>11/2/99
>

>Brisbane Airport rail link to go ahead
>
>The State Government has finalised arrangements for a privately-funded $200
million rail line to link Brisbane's central business district with the
international and domestic airport terminals by 2001, Premier Peter Beattie
announced today.

>"An airport-city train link is essential if Brisbane is going to rank as a

major international city and I congratulate all those who have played a part
in making this link a reality," said Mr Beattie.

>"Such a link is one of the few assets that Brisbane has been lacking and I am

proud that once again we are demonstrating that Queensland is the action
state. We're making things happen."

>Making the announcement with the Premier were Airtrain Citylink Limited Chair

James Cutts, Transport and Main Roads Minister Steve Bredhauer and Brisbane
Lord Mayor Jim Soorley.

>"This multi-million dollar rail link will bring enormous economic, employment
and public transport benefits to Brisbane," said Mr Beattie.

>"We expect the project to provide the equivalent of more than 500 full-time
jobs during the 27-month design and construction period."

>Mr Bredhauer said the link was a great boost for public transport in South-East
Queensland, where it was important to promote public transport as a viable
alternative to using cars.

>"One of the best ways to successfully improve public transport usage is to
provide infrastructure providing reliable, comfortable and easy travel such as
the new rail link," he said.

>"It is significant that the project has attracted private funding because it
shows the private sector has the confidence to invest in public infrastructure
in Queensland."

>Mr Cutts said it would take just over two years to build the link, with
construction due to start later this year. Design work would start this month.

>Airtrain would build 8.5 km of new rail, linking the existing Queensland Rail
network near Toombul to the Airport, said Mr Cutts.

>Most of the link would be elevated and feature two stations - one at the
international terminal, the other at the domestic terminal.

>Passengers would be travelling to the Airport by train by mid-2001, Mr Cutts
said.

>"Services will run directly from the Airport to the City and to the Gold Coast
by linking into the Citytrain network run by Queensland Rail," Mr Cutts said.

>Mr Beattie said the State Government had finalised agreement on the basis that
Airtrain would build and operate the rail link to the airport at the company's
expense.

>The project had been approved on the basis that Airtrain would pay for the
project in return for the right to operate the rail link for 35 years.

>After 35 years, it would be turned over to the State Government.
>
>Brisbane Lord Mayor Jim Soorley said Brisbane City Council had played a key
role in bringing Airtrain to fruition.

>"Council, as a major land holder along the route, gave the project full support
because we recognised the significant benefits of Airtrain to the city," Cr
Soorley said.

>"We receive a valuable rail corridor for residents and tourists linking the
city and the Gold Coast to the airport," he said.

>"At the same time it will help reduce traffic congestion and assist in
maintaining our city's air quality," Cr Soorley said.